Get prepared for a beautiful garden this spring and summer by learning some tips and tricks from a local virtual Master Your Garden class.
York County and Poquoson Public Libraries are partnering with the York-Poquoson Virginia Cooperative Extension office to host a series of virtual classes presented by Master Gardeners.
Master Gardeners’ mission as trained volunteers in partnership with the York–Poquoson, VCE agency, is to provide gardening educational opportunities to the public through research-based gardening programs and activities to enhance the environment and community. For more information on Master Gardeners click here.
The Master Your Garden series features a variety of Saturday seminars to help community members improve their gardening skills. Below are the classes on the schedule:
Starting from Seed (Feb. 6)
- Join Master Gardener Nate Brauner and learn simple techniques and secrets to growing flowers, vegetables and favorite plants from seeds at home.
Pruning (Feb. 13)
- Master Gardener Mary Boxer will lead the class to teach the safe and proper use of pruning tools to improve the health, longevity and appearance of plants, ornamental shrubs and trees.
How Green is Your Lawn? Healthy Virginia Lawns (Feb. 27)
- Master Gardener Pete Peterman will teach some tips and tricks to keep a lawn green and healthy.
Gardening in Small Spaces (March 6)
- Nate Brauner will teach this class for participants to learn how intensive gardening techniques can transform a small garden into a success.
Vegetable Gardening (March 27)
- Master Gardener Patty Ellison will lead the class to learn how to make their dream vegetable garden a reality. Water, zones, nutrition, pest prevention, and more will be discussed.
Planting for Pollinators (April 10)
- Nate Brauner will help the class learn how simple choices can help transform a yard or garden bed into a habitat that is teeming with beneficial insects and brings beauty into a yard.
The Amazing Honey Bee (May 8)
- Once again, Nate Brauner will lead the class and share how the honey bee can be a garden’s best friend.
All classes are from 1-2 p.m. via Zoom. All classes are free and open to the public. Anyone interested can register for each class in advance on the York County Public Library’s website.
After registering, participants will receive the class link.
For more information, please call the York-Poquoson Virginia Cooperative Extension office at 757-890-4940.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
Always be informed. Click here to get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox